- Large 6qt crock pot
- 8 cups of whole milk (approx 1/2 a gallon) Pasteurized and Homogenized is fine, but do not use ultra-pasteurized.
- 1/2 C of plain full fat yogurt from the store. After you make this first batch of yogurt you can use the yogurt from your own homemade yogurt for this ingredient.
HOW TO MAKE IT
1. Pour the milk into a crock pot, and turn the crock pot on low. Leave it alone for 2 1/2 hours, cooking on low.
2. Turn the crock pot off, leaving the cover on, and let the milk sit for 3 hours.
3. Mix the yogurt starter into the milk thats still in your crock pot.
4. Put the lid on the crock pot, and then fold and put a heavy bath towel over the crock pot to insulate in the leftover heat (leave the crock pot turned off), and go to bed.
5. The next morning, you will have yogurt ready for storing in your crock pot. Home made yogurt is thinner than store-bought so the consistency will be a bit different
6. Pour the yogurt into a container, or clean sterilized canning jars, and put it into the fridge. Let the yogurt cool down to the fridge temp.
You can chop up some fruit and put it in the blender with the yogurt for a few seconds if you prefer. You can also sprinkle some of your home made granola on top of it as well :) (I will be adding a recipe for homemade granola very soon)
Here is the 1st part of the video on making your own yogurt-