Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years Menu...a Southern Tradition!




Well being from North Carolina I grew up with a traditional New Years Eve meal!
Black Eye Peas, Turnip or Collard Greens and Cornbread! It just wasn't right to bring in the New Year without those 3 things on the menu! Black eye peas represent good health and the greens represent money and well you just have to have cornbread with those two things :) I cheat and make cornbread from the packages at the store, my cornbread just doesn't turn out all that good if I try to make homemade corn bread!

You can buy canned black eye peas or make your own from dried peas (which is what we do for the sake of saving a bit of money). Greens can be made many different ways as well. Below are my two recipes I use for both items...

Black Eye Peas


1 onion chopped and sauted

1 teaspoon of minced garlic

1 teaspoon of salt

2 cups of dried peas

8 cups of water

1 ham hock or fat back

After you saute the onions and garlic add peas and water, Bring to a boil and boil one minute. Turn off and let sit for 1 hour. Then cook on medium low heat for 3 hours. If the peas start to dry out, add boiling water to the pot *Cold water will make the peas crack an turn to mush.



Southern Greens

How to Wash Collard Greens


Fill clean sink 2/3 full with cold water. Immerse greens, in batches, in water; swish greens gently to remove any grit.


Makes: 12 servings, about 2/3 cup each




3 pounds fresh collard greens

12 slices Bacon, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups water

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

WASH collard greens, removing all grit. Remove and discard hard stems. Place greens together in small bunches; roll up. Cut crosswise into wide strips; set aside.

COOK bacon in large skillet on medium heat to desired crispness. Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon, reserving 3 tablespoons of the drippings in skillet. Set bacon aside. Add onion and garlic to drippings; cook and stir until tender.

ADD greens, water, sugar, salt and crushed red pepper to skillet. Reduce heat to low; simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour or until greens are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon.





2 comments:

  1. you know I have never had that before, however as I am in Canada, what can you expect!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby is Asian, so our traditional new year's dish is a long noodle lo mein - long noodles, long life, hee hee. I love (OK, it's bigger than love) black eyed peas, greens, and rice...I'm sure corn bread would be awesome with it too.

    I just posted a tutorial on my blog for skillet corn bread. I didn't include a specific recipe, but I just use the one in my better homes and gardens cookbook. I milled the corn a little finer this time, closer to corn flour, and it is really good!

    Laura at www.tenthingsfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete